FAQ’s and More on the MergerJanuary 28, 2019
As announced on January 28, Third Plateau Social Impact Strategies and Leventhal Kline Management are officially joining forces under the Third Plateau banner to enhance their service offerings and meet the needs of today’s evolving philanthropic sector. To learn more about the merger, we’ve provided some answers to your burning questions below.
Why are we doing this?
As the philanthropic sector has evolved, Third Plateau and LKM recognized the need to evolve as well. Private foundations have long time-horizons and multi-generational interests and needs. The Principals of Third Plateau and LKM have known one another for several years and felt that by joining forces we would be able to provide a greater breadth of services, and the long-term continuity that our clients need now and in the future. As a combined team, we will be able to offer more resources and enhanced services for our current and future clients.
What are the comprehensive services that Third Plateau will now offer?
Social Impact Consulting Services for Nonprofits Funders and Leaders:
- Design and facilitate strategic planning processes
- Develop impact metrics and evaluation
- Coach and advise organizational leaders
- Design and facilitate convenings and retreats
- Create long-term development strategies
- Develop and execute communication strategy
Foundation Management and Philanthropic Services:
- Develop grantmaking priorities, strategies, RFPs and grant guidelines
- Oversee grantee relations, proposal analysis, site visits and due-diligence
- Design and manage multi-funder collaboratives and donor circles
- Manage accounting and financial administration, budgeting, tax and multi-state compliance
- Research and recommend potential funding areas and best practices
- Strengthen governance and streamline foundation operations
- Provide corporate foundation management services
What does this mean for current Third Plateau clients?
This will not have an impact on existing Third Plateau clients, other than increased access to new services through Third Plateau as outlined above. Third Plateau will maintain its offices and presence in San Francisco, Sacramento, and Houston and will operate an office in the Berkeley Marina district, which previously served as LKM’s headquarters.
What does this mean for LKM’s clients?
Under the banner of Third Plateau, LKM clients will continue to receive the same personal and comprehensive service they have enjoyed for over twenty years. Principals and staff of LKM have become part of the Third Plateau team and will continue to serve each client as they have been served to date. As we integrate our services, we will be able to expand our staff teams to provide a greater depth of client service.
This all sounds great, I want to learn more.
If you have specific questions related to the merger or Third Plateau in general, feel free to reach Daniel Kaufman at [email protected]